Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Freedom Strings

Freedom Strings
By C.L.Haws

For weeks I’d practice
In the dark of night
Guilty of malpractice
Guilty out of spite

My fingers silently played
Not daring to make a sound
One more night I prayed
The Silencers all around

Performance day
Not significant now
Once a holiday
With lights as a show

I step into the square
Where a lone pole stands
Hurriedly I prepare
Before they bind my hands

Violin in place
I peel note one
Every face
To me spun

I played a song
Forbidden
But how could it be wrong?
Silencers wanted it hidden

Notes of stars & stripes
A banner spangled white
In past days stripped
From the pole to my right

People in the square
Open their mouths to sing
A battle they prepare
Let freedom ring

Though all tongues
Were cut
Sound produced by lungs
By Silencers can’t be shut

In time with violin
Wordless voices chimed
Silencers walked in
Not a voice dimmed

We all were taken
To the square’s other side
Goodness forsaken
A rope hung with pride

One by one
Singers fell
Leaving none

But me to tell

No comments:

Post a Comment